Carpets are very vulnerable to dirt, because they are constantly exposed to various negative factors. Crumbs fall on the carpet, wool and dust are deposited on it, and the coating can also be stained with paint – from water emulsion to the usual watercolor, which is used by children. If the product has been stained with paint, it is better to contact a cleaning company to order carpet cleaning. If you want to do the cleaning yourself, then use the recommendations on how to remove paint from the carpet and remove old stains, collected in our instructions.
Tips on how to remove paint from flooring
Any kind of paint has a thick consistency, so the substance that got on the carpet, in any case, you can not intensively scrub. It is necessary to take a paper or textile cloth, and then gently pick up the maximum amount of paint. It is recommended to clean the contaminated area from the edges to the center, which will help not increase the area of the stain. You can spread the wipes around the spilled paint to keep it from spreading over the covering. Keep in mind a number of tips:
- Acrylic and other types of paint used for finishing are highly resistant to water, so it is better to use alcohol, acetone, glycerin to remove them. This rule applies to hair paints;
- Drawing paints (watercolor, gouache) can be removed with cold water and detergent;
- When cleaning, always follow the instructions and do not mix vinegar with baking soda, hydrogen peroxide or bleach. The combination of these components leads to the formation of harmful gases that can have a negative impact on human health;
- Test any product on a small area of the flooring before applying it;
- Always wear gloves, and gauze bandages when using bleach and stain removers.
If the stains are large or long-standing, carpet cleaning with removal to the shop or at home will help get them out. Professional cleaning can remove glue, iodine, paint, green – any type of dirt. However, you can get rid of small, fresh stains yourself!
How do I clean paint from a carpet with ammonia?
You can clean your carpet with ammonia using the following recipe:
- Combine 1 tbsp. of ammonia and the same amount of colorless dishwashing liquid;
- Add to the mixture a cup of water (about 200 ml);
- Apply the solution to the soiling using a sponge and leave it on for 30 minutes;
- Remove the components of the cleaner with cold water.
Please note that ammonia should not be used to clean carpets with natural wool in their composition. The method considered demonstrates high efficiency in the fight against stale stains.
How to clean acrylic paint from the carpet?
Acrylic compositions can be removed from the floor covering with the help of glycerin and means based on acetone:
- Apply a small amount of glycerin to a dry cloth;
- Press the wipe to the stain and leave it there for three to five minutes;
- Remove any residual dirt, using acetone or nail polish remover;
- Wash the covering with a solution made of 1 cup water and 1 tablespoon of dishwashing liquid. Ventilate the room, dry the cleaned area with a towel.
The method is not suitable for silk and wool carpets. The use of glycerin and acetone can cause deformation or discoloration of the nap, so be sure to do a preliminary test on a small area of the product. You can also try removing stains from carpet or upholstered furniture with hairspray:
- Spray the varnish on the soiling;
- Wait 5-10 minutes;
- Remove with cold water.
Hairspray also contains acetone, so it can discolor the coating. By the way, you can use acetone to clean iodine, remove unpleasant odors.
How do I clean paint stains from a rug with vinegar?
Vinegar is a proven remedy that you can safely use to remove fresh and stale stains. Use the following method:
- Mix 1 tbsp. of vinegar with the same amount of dishwashing detergent, as well as one glass of cold water;
- Soak a sponge in the solution and wipe the stain from the edges to the center;
- Periodically cover the area to be cleaned with a dry towel to remove the components of dirt and excess moisture;
- Finish by wiping the item with a damp sponge.
You can remove green, paint, iodine and other stubborn stains by using rubbing alcohol: soak a cloth in alcohol, wipe the stain, rinse the item with clean water. Hydrogen peroxide, which should be applied in the same manner as medical alcohol, fights well with the type of stain in question. Peroxide has bleaching properties, it should be used only if the above means have not helped.
We have told you about how to remove paint from the carpet, so you can begin to combat the contamination right now. Remember that self-cleaning can entail deformation of the pile, discoloration, loss of decorative characteristics of the product. If you don’t want to ruin the finish, just call the cleaners. They will be able to remove oil stains, as well as gouache, watercolor, water-emulsion and other types of dirt. The cleaners will get your flooring back in order in no time, restoring beauty and cleanliness!